All times are UTC

Post subject: EASA2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:03 pm 

Just popping on to say that I have tried the first week of my 90 day challenge - I really like it so far. Well, I like the results of the workouts, but I do not love them while I am doing them.

I am not having problems with the sensors falling off my leg or arm - they have rubber on the inside that helps them grip, and so far so good although I think that eventually I will have to superglue the velcro back on.

The exercises are really working different muscles that WFPlus or WIO ever did - at least in the beginning it seems to be a LOT of squats and I have some sore muscles. I like the work with the bands, too. The version I bought is from Target, and it includes three sets of bands. The game does not seem to burn up as many calories as I would have expected from the amount of persperation that I generate in 20 minutes or so, but I have dropped two pounds in a week, so I think it is underestimating. I think that if I had started with Sports Active, I would have quit, so I am glad I did WiiFit first, and WIO was a good diversion (I did not really lose weight on WIO though, even after spending hours on it). I will still do WiiFit and/or WIO on my days "off" since SA only lets you work 4 out of 7 days. I need to work out every day, because one day off for me leads to another, but if I have a string of on days, I do not want to mess it up.

I do not know how difficult it is going to get - I have started on the easy level and there is an exercise I cannot do - the side planks. Cannot do them on WiiFit, either. I can do regular planks on my elbows and on my hands, but cannot do them on my sides, so at this point, I am skipping them. Everything else is moderately difficult to easy, so I think I will be able to use this game for quite a while.

Post subject: Re: EASA2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:40 pm 

Well, I missed an entire week. I smashed my foot into a wall while avoiding stepping on a sleeping dog. Not broken, just black and blue and not fun. Not much pain now, and l am thinking that tomorrow will be the day I try EASA2 again. This should have been week 3 of my 90 day challenge.

I am thinking the best thing to do after missing a week will be to just delete myself and start over? Also need to get on WiiFit and see the damage, but I really do not think it has been too bad, just a week. (FIngers crossed).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 am 

musicforall wrote:
Well, I missed an entire week. I smashed my foot into a wall while avoiding stepping on a sleeping dog. Not broken, just black and blue and not fun. Not much pain now, and l am thinking that tomorrow will be the day I try EASA2 again. This should have been week 3 of my 90 day challenge.

I am thinking the best thing to do after missing a week will be to just delete myself and start over? Also need to get on WiiFit and see the damage, but I really do not think it has been too bad, just a week. (FIngers crossed).

Ow! I hope your foot is better now. Deleting the 90 day challenge and starting again sounds like a good idea. You want to give it your best shot, after all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:30 pm 

I ended up not starting over - my last day of my 90 day challenge is the end of this month, and I just could not bear it. So, I am doing an extra day here and there and gradually checking off my "missed days" by selecting those days from the menu during a "rest day". Barring any further accidents, I should easily be caught up. Foot does not feel 100%, but I can exercise on it.

Wish the heart rate monitor would work on WiiFit, this is definitely my favorite part of this game, trying to get my heart rate. Watching the calories burn while you exercise is okay, too. I really do think that EASA2 underestimates the calories, if sweat is any indication. As soon as I finish this 90 day challege, I want to build my own routine of all my favorites and see how many calories that would be. I have definitely hit a wall on weight loss, but I do not really care if I lose any more, just do not want to gain it all back in the upcoming holiday season - luckily I have an event every two weeks or so, and that keeps me focused.

I have been exercising for a year now - I hope I can keep it up - definitely feel better. If you had told me two years ago that I would be planning my days to allow me to get in an hour of exercise a day, I would have said you were crazy. Better late than never?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:10 pm 

musicforall wrote:
I ended up not starting over - my last day of my 90 day challenge is the end of this month, and I just could not bear it. So, I am doing an extra day here and there and gradually checking off my "missed days" by selecting those days from the menu during a "rest day". Barring any further accidents, I should easily be caught up. Foot does not feel 100%, but I can exercise on it.

Wish the heart rate monitor would work on WiiFit, this is definitely my favorite part of this game, trying to get my heart rate. Watching the calories burn while you exercise is okay, too. I really do think that EASA2 underestimates the calories, if sweat is any indication. As soon as I finish this 90 day challege, I want to build my own routine of all my favorites and see how many calories that would be. I have definitely hit a wall on weight loss, but I do not really care if I lose any more, just do not want to gain it all back in the upcoming holiday season - luckily I have an event every two weeks or so, and that keeps me focused.

I have been exercising for a year now - I hope I can keep it up - definitely feel better. If you had told me two years ago that I would be planning my days to allow me to get in an hour of exercise a day, I would have said you were crazy. Better late than never?

I'm glad you are feeling better now. :D :D :D

Yes, it would be great if there was a heart rate monitor that would work with WiiFit. When I used to have an exercise bike, that was one of the things I liked about it. It really let me know whether I was putting in the effort that I thought I was.

As for calorie estimation, that seems to me to be a bit of a black art. I wear my iPhone on an armband while I exercise so that I can use the 'Walk 'n Play' app. It estimates calories in a different manner from the Wii. Almost always, it tells me that I have expended fewer calories than the Wii says I have. Now the Wii is just measuring time spent doing the activity, so it may be that the app is correct. The app's web site states that many exercise devices overestimate the amount of calories burnt. Perhaps, therefore, EASA2 has corrected this.

Well, however many calories I am burining, I am still losing weight. I have a bit to go until I reach my ideal weight, which just happens to also be the ideal weight that the Wii gives me. I'm getting there. I feel much better, too. Getting involved with WiiFit has helped me to not only sort out my exercise, but my diet. I now eat a much more healthy diet. I even survived having a guest come over - a foodie guest, mind you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:40 pm 

musicforall wrote:

Glad the foot is improving. Your first post on this made me think of a guy I knew a few years back. He came one night to train at my jujitsu club - he normally trained at another, but came to mine sometimes. The dojo was small, and he managed to find the wall with his foot, as you do. The next time I saw him, he had the broken-bone doodad on his foot, oops.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:59 pm 

I finished my 9 week challenge yesterday. I had to do 4 routines in one day, but I did it over the course of five hours. And yes, my legs hurt today. I am going to take a break for a day or two.

I thought I would do a 9 week challenge on easy, followed by medium, followed by hard. By reading comments on the EASA board though, they do not "ramp up" so stacking them like that is not actually going to give me a 27 week "course". Apparently the beginning of medium is much easier than the end of easy. Maybe that is okay - I do need a break, but not for three weeks. Hmm.

I could try the 30 day cardiac challenge instead and start it on medium or hard. I may regret that! I have a day or two to decide, and it would get me through the dreaded Thanksgiving holidays.

My results on the 9 week were for over 5000 calories burned. I can see a lot of upper body muscle that I did not have before and I attribute that to the resistance bands. I can feel thigh muscles that I did not have before and that is due to all the exercises with squats (a lot, too much since I have a sore knee that did not appreciate them). I gained two pounds, and since I had wanted to LOSE two or three pounds, I am not happy. My diet was not great, and I had a week with a hurt foot, but I made up all the time, so I am not delighted with that. I did not consider my diet "bad" but normal - I ate out once a week, I had a couple of pieces of cake on my birthday, but did not expect to gain weight from what I ate. I need to start a food journal.

I could not find a way to get it to do a heart recovery test. It was supposed to give me the test weekly, but it never did. I would really like to see if there was a difference - I suspect that there would be since I was gradually able to work out for longer and longer and it got really difficult to keep my heart rate up between exercises by the end.

I like how the program gradually ramps up over the weeks. I could really see the difference when I "made up" missed programs from my injured week - Phase 2 was a lot easier than Phase 3, with Phase 3 routines taking about 10 minutes longer to complete, more reps per exercise and putting more cardiac exercises back to back. I would have liked more "games" but I appreciated the mountain biking and mountain boarding and the soccer heading, even though that meant I was still doing a lot of squats. I like the muscle build. It was too much squats for my older knees, but it is possible to "quit" an exercise or skip an exercise if it hurts. I wish I had lost weight but if I had kept a journal during the 9 weeks, that would have helped. Overall, I give the program a B+ or A -.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:28 pm 

musicforall wrote:
I finished my 9 week challenge yesterday. I had to do 4 routines in one day, but I did it over the course of five hours. And yes, my legs hurt today. I am going to take a break for a day or two.

I thought I would do a 9 week challenge on easy, followed by medium, followed by hard. By reading comments on the EASA board though, they do not "ramp up" so stacking them like that is not actually going to give me a 27 week "course". Apparently the beginning of medium is much easier than the end of easy. Maybe that is okay - I do need a break, but not for three weeks. Hmm.

I could try the 30 day cardiac challenge instead and start it on medium or hard. I may regret that! I have a day or two to decide, and it would get me through the dreaded Thanksgiving holidays.

My results on the 9 week were for over 5000 calories burned. I can see a lot of upper body muscle that I did not have before and I attribute that to the resistance bands. I can feel thigh muscles that I did not have before and that is due to all the exercises with squats (a lot, too much since I have a sore knee that did not appreciate them). I gained two pounds, and since I had wanted to LOSE two or three pounds, I am not happy. My diet was not great, and I had a week with a hurt foot, but I made up all the time, so I am not delighted with that. I did not consider my diet "bad" but normal - I ate out once a week, I had a couple of pieces of cake on my birthday, but did not expect to gain weight from what I ate. I need to start a food journal.

It can be very hard to lose weight when you have been on a diet for a long time. The metabolism just slows down and is hard to kick start again. The only thing I have found that works is doing aerobic exercise - loads of aerobic exercise. About 1000 calories worth a day, to be precise. That's why I jog so much as it is the only way I know of getting that much exercise in a sane amount of time.

You might put on a bit of weight while you are toning your muscles as muscle weighs about 18% more than fat, I believe. Most likely the gain is down to a slower metabolism. When you write in your food journal, be sure to include the time when you ate the food. I find that if I eat anything much in the evening, I gain weight. I have made breakfast my main meal, lunch secondary, and tea (dinner) very light. It has been working up until this week, but that's only because I have been a bit ill, a mild stomach bug, unfortunately.

Your better toned muscles will help you in other ways, though. They will help you to maintain a better posture and there is scientific evidence that people who slump when they sit or walk burn fewer calories than those who maintain a straighter posture.

I'm glad that your knee is on the mend. I hope all goes well over the coming holidays. Oh, and happy birthday! :D :D :D :D