All times are UTC

Post subject: How do I stop the Wii Fit Plus wasting my time?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 pm 

I'm getting on fine with the actual exercises - stepper as a warm-up, bit of yoga, skiing, and a run round the island to finish. But what I want to do is get some exercise before I go to work, not click through repetitive vapid platitudes. So, how do I get through, or get rid of:
1) The slooooowwww repetition at the start that I should hold on to the controller (really? I'd never have guessed) and clear space around the thing (would anyone but a complete moron not do this?) that I get every single morning and evening? Pressing "A" doesn't seem to have any effect, and that nonsense takes long enough that I might as well switch it on, then go and make the coffee till it's finished.
2) The idiotic animations in the supposedly "quick" body test - yes, I know I'm overweight, I don't need a slooowly sliding scale and an animation of a fat person to tell me this, nor yet the stupid noises, I want the exercise!
3) The bit at the end of each exercise where it tells me how badly it's failed to measure my steps on and off the stepper and where this puts my meaningless "score" in some equally meaningless ranking system?

Why yes, I am annoyed with it. How did you guess?

Post subject: Re: How do I stop the Wii Fit Plus wasting my time?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:24 am 

JaneWilliams wrote:
I'm getting on fine with the actual exercises - stepper as a warm-up, bit of yoga, skiing, and a run round the island to finish. But what I want to do is get some exercise before I go to work, not click through repetitive vapid platitudes. So, how do I get through, or get rid of:
1) The slooooowwww repetition at the start that I should hold on to the controller (really? I'd never have guessed) and clear space around the thing (would anyone but a complete moron not do this?) that I get every single morning and evening? Pressing "A" doesn't seem to have any effect, and that nonsense takes long enough that I might as well switch it on, then go and make the coffee till it's finished.
2) The idiotic animations in the supposedly "quick" body test - yes, I know I'm overweight, I don't need a slooowly sliding scale and an animation of a fat person to tell me this, nor yet the stupid noises, I want the exercise!
3) The bit at the end of each exercise where it tells me how badly it's failed to measure my steps on and off the stepper and where this puts my meaningless "score" in some equally meaningless ranking system?

Why yes, I am annoyed with it. How did you guess?

You can't, I'm afraid, do anything about any of this; it's just part of the program.

I used to be annoyed as well, but I came to see that this is just the way of the feedback process being friendly, in a manner of speaking. So many games out there provide one with hardly any information at all. WiiFit Plus, at least, tries to make the process more human. I just think of the WiiBoard character as a friend who is trying to tell me something in a nice way, that's all. Once you form a relationship, as it were, with the character, the whole process is much nicer.

This forming a relationship with the WiiBoard character, is, I think, the way the developers intended people should do it. Remember, the company is Japanese and this is the way that the Japanese do things. A cartoon character that explains things to you, and processes that make certain that you always know what is going on, seems to me to fit very nicely into what I have seen of Japanese culture.

My best advice to you is to relax and allow just a little extra time for the program to treat you like a human being. :D :D :D