All times are UTC

Post subject: Mii <3 WF+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 pm 

Hi! I've been using a WF+ to reclaim my body for 185 days now. I am 59 with health issues. I have totally changed my posture, balance, body shape, reflexes, strength, endurance, cognitive movement, retention, ankles and arches and and more. I will never be without a WF+!

I was well into obese when I started and am within a pound of the top of Normal now. Partly this is because I made major changes to my diet and lost 45 pounds (in the same time frame,) but have never lost weight before AND lost most of my cellulite and I attribute this to the mostly small muscle activities adding up to great change at all body levels. I do some other physical activities, but really very seldom.

I am very excited by this remarkable renewal tool and have gotten half a dozen people that I know to also use it for rehabilitation purposes. Fun is always there - but for me the game is the process of change, and 'playing' other Wii activities is something akin to desert. I encourage others in that attitude; first you have to do the workout, and then you can relax - if there is time.

I'm delighted to have found this forum and hope I can learn more about my WF+ from it and also contribute in ways that will help others meet their own goals.

Hugs and Wii Waves!!!

Post subject: Re: Mii <3 WF+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:07 am 

Hello there... I, too, have fallen in love with WF+ and am very fond of some Resort 'games' that also help improve my mental and physical conditions.

I am a 60 yr old male who was starting to turn 'old' and once I found out the benefits of this Wii and how it can turn back the clock on much of the aging process, especially when we are not active enough.

I stand straighter and have less back and neck pain. I can stand still with weight equally balanced on both feet and not ache anywhere - I feel grounded. I guess that is what happens when you send several months learning to get that #$%!! red dot on the cross hairs. It is amazing to become aware enough to feel the slight differences in pressure on each sole. And I have never done well standing on one leg but I sure am getting better and know that in a few months I'll be doing it easily. And that brings me to living a safer life - with WF+ I know I will have a hugely safer life due to better reflexes, strength, and balance. I have heard too many times that just ONE fall can cause one's quality of life to go down the tubes and actually is a main contributor in early death.

That's a big reason I am working WF+ on a regular basis.

I love all the ones I have done so far and there are quite a few left to try for the first time but I do a good varied set almost always including several things from each of the major groups (balance, aerobics, etc.). And the Strength and Yoga are priceless in what they do even though they are enhanced by all of the other games.

Truly, WF+ is magic! I hope I get to 'play' on it for many decades...

And a big THANKS to Nintendo for creating this unique machine with its very important balance board!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:41 pm 

Welcome to the forum, the both of you! :D :D :D :D

I'm really glad to hear that WiiFit Plus is working out so well for you.

It's a bit quiet here now, but things will pick up with the release of the Wii U.

Tell me, are either of you planning to get the Wii U?

What are your favourite exercises? Have you seen our Wiki for WiiFit and the high score table? These are great motivators, especially the high score table.

At any rate, should you need any extra info, have a look at the Hints and Tips section of the forum. There's quite a bit of stuff there, especially on the cycling games. The great favourite of the forum is, of course, the race to get all the balloons. A difficult but rewarding puzzle, that.

At any rate, again, welcome to the forum. I hope that we will talk again soon. :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:08 pm 

Hello lajoggeuse, thank you for the welcome! :D We like it here and plan to explore more and take full advantage of the many assets. It's nice to have a place so well organized to collect our data and share back and forth about our passion. There is a page on FB - but it is nothing like this. I will be trying to direct people from there to here as this is more helpful.

Stiive (my husband) and I have looked at the Wii U but are not really interested at this time. We are focusing on Wiihabilitation using the activities which focus on the balance board. We don't do much 'game' usage of the Wii system so don't see much point in adding a Wii U for now. The occasional 'vacation' at the Wii Resort is the only non-balance board activities we allow ourselves; we do enjoy a bout of whacking each other with swords LOL. We can see the allure of the Wii U for gaming; it's pretty cool, but we are using our Wii for fitness and rejuvenation much more than entertainment and there is only us in the house. We have gotten half a dozen people we personally know onto the Wii Fit+ system to restore balance, cognitive body response, reflex, posture etc... We'll be trying to get them into here as well soon.

Yes, we found the score chart and I have entered some of mine; I'll have more as I work through my week of activities on the Wii and mark the scores. Steve has begun writing his as well.

I love Island Cycling and have been routinely popping those 20 balls for some time now... IC is one of my fav activities and I look forward to posting scores on that. :lol:

I also look forward to the tips/tricks section - some things elude me. For instance, how do you get 200%+ scores on the Basic Run Plus (short) :?:

Are you admin here lajoggeuse? Thank you again for your reply and welcome... Wii hope you have a great wiik!

I'm so glad you and your husband like the forum. :D :D Yes, I'm a moderator here. Paul is the admin and owner of the site. He's a bit busy at the moment, but I expect that he will pop by soon.

As to the 200%+ scores on the Basic Run Plus, it's simple: I have a running style such that I hold the WiiMote very steady when I run. The steadier you hold the WiiMote while jogging, the better the score. The game is looking for a regular pace. If the WiiMote registers too much irregularity, the game figures that you are jogging in an irregular fashion which lowers the efficiency of the exercise. It's that simple. I simply hold the Wiimote vertically in my hand as I jog. I keep both arms out before me and hold them steady. This is a natural thing to do for me. It's just the way I jog. In one hand I have the WiiMote and in the other, the TV remote. I watch TV while I jog. It might help as well that I jog on a little trampoline. I use this because I have knee injuries and it insures that the shock of running does not go to my knees. It also keeps my jog quiet and as I live in a block of flats, that's a great help.

I'm really glad that WiiFit has helped you so much. It has helped me as well. I am much fitter than I was before. I used to get tired when I walked long distances, but no more. I feel full of energy throughout the day. It has also increased my flexibility. It's a wonderful game and game system.

I'm waiting to see whether I will get the Wii U. Wii U Fit hasn't come out and probably won't until next year, and I'll wait to see what people say about that. If it has loads of new fitness games, then that will be something that I will want. We'll see. :D :D :D

Anyway, everyone is welcome here. We're a friendly bunch. :D :D 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:21 am 

Yes indeed, welcome to the both of you! We have tried very hard to make all the information on both the forum and the wiki useful, and that extends to reviews of other games. Wewant to help people find what's hot and, in some cases, avoid what's not. (See my review of the yoga-game-to-avoid for an example.)

Anyway, welcome once again, and congratulations on your weight loss progress!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 pm 

Hi Cynique! Thank you also for the welcome. You have all worked so hard on this great site. There is SO much to read and so much to do! I am trying to type up my workout to post and trying to decide where to put it as it is Wiihabilitation aimed (without regard for scores initially) but really suitable for anyone who wants a balanced workout...

Lajoggeuse... Your explanation makes a lot of sense - and explains a lot. I jog with the Wiimote in a front pocket of my (very loose now) jogging pants or shorts. It bounces about quite a bit - so that's no help. I did this because I was holding hand weights. I also misunderstood the game goal and was trying to outrace the cat a bit - so that obviously was no help either. I did understand that I could not pass the cat (did that once,) but still, I thought I was supposed to work up to a faster pace. I will try your tip on a brief run today.

Interesting about the little trampoline... I probably could use one as I cannot jog for very long times without feeling some discomfort in my feet. I must say though, the fat pads beneath my metatarsal area has thickened while the fat on the rest of my body has thinned due to the Wii workouts and in our small house, another piece of equipment that has to be stored might make me crazy LOL!

We go today to help some friends in their 80's become more comfortable with the new WFP+ they bought (at our recommendation) to work toward the same kind of Wiihabilitation we have been getting. Before that, I am off for an hour Wiirkout. Today will include Island cycling so I will be able to fill in some scores onr the table. Steve did an hour already and I notice his sheet of scores is ready for him to upload them. He beats me at some things quite soundly!

Oh! Wii U is on sale here and we have been to the store to look at it. From what we could see it is not going to add to our needs. We did not notice many fitness options and it did not seem the screen would add much to balance board usage. For us, if it doesn't involve the balance board it is not really interesting at the moment.

I'm posting the link to this group on the FB page today... Maybe we'll see some new faces here! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 am 

Miilyn wrote:
Hi Cynique! Thank you also for the welcome. You have all worked so hard on this great site. There is SO much to read and so much to do! I am trying to type up my workout to post and trying to decide where to put it as it is Wiihabilitation aimed (without regard for scores initially) but really suitable for anyone who wants a balanced workout...

Lajoggeuse... Your explanation makes a lot of sense - and explains a lot. I jog with the Wiimote in a front pocket of my (very loose now) jogging pants or shorts. It bounces about quite a bit - so that's no help. I did this because I was holding hand weights. I also misunderstood the game goal and was trying to outrace the cat a bit - so that obviously was no help either. I did understand that I could not pass the cat (did that once,) but still, I thought I was supposed to work up to a faster pace. I will try your tip on a brief run today.

Interesting about the little trampoline... I probably could use one as I cannot jog for very long times without feeling some discomfort in my feet. I must say though, the fat pads beneath my metatarsal area has thickened while the fat on the rest of my body has thinned due to the Wii workouts and in our small house, another piece of equipment that has to be stored might make me crazy LOL!

We go today to help some friends in their 80's become more comfortable with the new WFP+ they bought (at our recommendation) to work toward the same kind of Wiihabilitation we have been getting. Before that, I am off for an hour Wiirkout. Today will include Island cycling so I will be able to fill in some scores onr the table. Steve did an hour already and I notice his sheet of scores is ready for him to upload them. He beats me at some things quite soundly!

Oh! Wii U is on sale here and we have been to the store to look at it. From what we could see it is not going to add to our needs. We did not notice many fitness options and it did not seem the screen would add much to balance board usage. For us, if it doesn't involve the balance board it is not really interesting at the moment.

I'm posting the link to this group on the FB page today... Maybe we'll see some new faces here! :D

I meant to reply to this before but forgot. :oops:

You can pass the cat if another cat comes along. The other cat, if you chose to follow it, will take you a different route.

As for the trampoline, I have seen collapsible ones for sale on Amazon. I don't know how well they work, but the collapsible bit makes storage easier. That said, I live in a small flat and I don't have any problem storing my trampoline and it isn't collapsible. I just slot it behind a table that I moved forward a bit to accomadate it. It just leans against the wall and keeps out of the way, but is easy enough to get out every day. I use it along with wireless headphones which means I can exercise at any time without disturbing anyone in the flat above or below.

If you buy a trampoline, look for one on which you can do a bit of acrobatics. It's not that you are going to do those for the Wii, but the trampolines that are made for acrobatics are stronger than the ones made just for jogging. Some trampolines are shoddy and the springs will break after only a short amount of use. I managed to get a good trampoline, made by Domyos that has lasted over three years now. The ones I had before had problems: one, a cheap one, lasted about 2 months and the other about a year. The latter had problems with the trampoline fraying, so I salvaged the springs from it to use as replacements should the odd one break on the one I use now.

The springs do wear and will break even in good trampolines, but they are easy enough to replace if you have spares. All you need is a bit of rope and a wall on which to lean the trampoline.

Thanks for the FB link. The more people who come here, the merrier! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm 

Thanks Cynique... Happy New Year!

I will think about the trampoline... I like the idea and your info is very helpful. I already have my mega hula hoopp stored behind one piece of furniture, what is one more thing eh?

I sent a used Wii system to my sister in Michigan for Christmas and I sent her the link here today.
Someone from the FB group said they would be joining a week ago or so... Maybe we'll get some motivated action in here soon. In any case, Steve and I continue to use our Wii and are quite happy with it.

I have a couple of tech questions - I'm going to search for threads I can ask them on instead of asking here. If I don't find what I want - I'll be back!

HUGS!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 am 

Miilyn wrote:
Thanks Cynique... Happy New Year!

I will think about the trampoline... I like the idea and your info is very helpful. I already have my mega hula hoopp stored behind one piece of furniture, what is one more thing eh?

I sent a used Wii system to my sister in Michigan for Christmas and I sent her the link here today.
Someone from the FB group said they would be joining a week ago or so... Maybe we'll get some motivated action in here soon. In any case, Steve and I continue to use our Wii and are quite happy with it.

I have a couple of tech questions - I'm going to search for threads I can ask them on instead of asking here. If I don't find what I want - I'll be back!

HUGS!

You don't have to search the threads - no one minds if you ask something that has been asked before. We're a friendly forum here. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I see you and Steve have been adding scores to the new Yoga and Exercise section of the high score sheet. That's great! I need to add more of my scores.

I find one exercise to be really challenging but really good and that's the Single Arm Stand. It is the most intensive of all the exericises on the Wii, but if you can do it, it certainly is a great one for improving agility, balance and a certain amount of upper body strength.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 am 

Thanks for sharing your success. I'm just starting out and it's very encouraging.