All times are UTC



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:06 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm
Posts: 56
I have just started "enjoying" the routines with exercise bands on Sports Active 2, and yes, totally new muscles are being used. I was surprised that I could see new arm muscle in just one week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:49 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 747
Location: France
musicforall wrote:
I have just started "enjoying" the routines with exercise bands on Sports Active 2, and yes, totally new muscles are being used. I was surprised that I could see new arm muscle in just one week.


Exercise bands? Are these like resistance bands? Dynaband type things? I use dynabands, but not with the Wii; I just use the routine I found in a book.

_________________
---
Voilà ce qui va se passer !
http://www.levisiteurdufutur.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:40 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm
Posts: 56
Yes, resistance bands - you see I have never used any before. Pretty cool way to increase the workout. Adding weights to WiiFit made my back and "bad" knee hurt too much. So far, with the bands, all I have is some sore muscles, in odd places. I guess there are muscles that the bands force you to use that you normally do not, therefore, more work out of the same movement. Yesterday I did the good old arm extension exercise, you know, the one WiiFit suggests you try a water bottle next time. I did it with both arms at a time with a resistance band, and that became a much more difficult exercise to accomplish. I could not even do ten, and now I have these little sore places under my arms that I can only feel when I put my arms over my head. The Sports Active wants 4 days on, 3 days off, so I am alternating WiiFit and Sports Active now, and doing WIO at night when I feel I could use some more exercise before going to bed. Since I have only finished five days of SA exercise, it is still a lot of fun to see what each day will bring. I like the way it mixes it up - yesterday was apparently an arm day, very thankful it was not another squats and lunge day.

Hopefully with 3 fitness games, I will finally get down the the 29 BMI that WiiFit seems to think I should be! Only 6-7 pounds to go, but I simply have not been able to lose those last ones now, since I really do not seem ready to go on a "real diet" - other than to start drinking more water.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:18 am 

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 747
Location: France
musicforall wrote:
Yes, resistance bands - you see I have never used any before. Pretty cool way to increase the workout. Adding weights to WiiFit made my back and "bad" knee hurt too much. So far, with the bands, all I have is some sore muscles, in odd places. I guess there are muscles that the bands force you to use that you normally do not, therefore, more work out of the same movement. Yesterday I did the good old arm extension exercise, you know, the one WiiFit suggests you try a water bottle next time. I did it with both arms at a time with a resistance band, and that became a much more difficult exercise to accomplish. I could not even do ten, and now I have these little sore places under my arms that I can only feel when I put my arms over my head. The Sports Active wants 4 days on, 3 days off, so I am alternating WiiFit and Sports Active now, and doing WIO at night when I feel I could use some more exercise before going to bed. Since I have only finished five days of SA exercise, it is still a lot of fun to see what each day will bring. I like the way it mixes it up - yesterday was apparently an arm day, very thankful it was not another squats and lunge day.

Hopefully with 3 fitness games, I will finally get down the the 29 BMI that WiiFit seems to think I should be! Only 6-7 pounds to go, but I simply have not been able to lose those last ones now, since I really do not seem ready to go on a "real diet" - other than to start drinking more water.


I think you mean a BMI of 22, not 29. I'm not sure that resistance bands will help you there, though. They add muscle mass but they do little to help one lose weight. I am certain that all my weight loss has come from jogging, Step to the Beat (Walk It Out), and, of course, eating less.

Have you tried eating porridge (oatmeal) as a way of losing weight? It is filling without being fattening. I find it prevents me from snacking or eating too late.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying using the bands. It will probably take you about eight weeks to get the full effect, but it is well worth the wait and the work. You will feel much stronger and much healthier. :D

_________________
---
Voilà ce qui va se passer !
http://www.levisiteurdufutur.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:42 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm
Posts: 56
Yep, sorry. BMI of 22 - I have to be 129 to get it. I guess that "29" part is just looming large in my mind - it seems impossible. Not even sure I want to weigh that - my child told me I look "slightly anorexic" yesterday. She then said it was a joke, but yeah, I am surprised the difference of just 16 lbs has made in my appearance.

I am really having trouble with the bands - about half the time the game does not "read" me when I am doing the band exercises, or reads them upside down - so I do the exercise and tell the game to skip it. Bleh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:28 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 747
Location: France
musicforall wrote:
Yep, sorry. BMI of 22 - I have to be 129 to get it. I guess that "29" part is just looming large in my mind - it seems impossible. Not even sure I want to weigh that - my child told me I look "slightly anorexic" yesterday. She then said it was a joke, but yeah, I am surprised the difference of just 16 lbs has made in my appearance.

I am really having trouble with the bands - about half the time the game does not "read" me when I am doing the band exercises, or reads them upside down - so I do the exercise and tell the game to skip it. Bleh.


If you or others think you are looking too thin, then perhaps you shouldn't lose the weight. BMI isn't everything. It isn't even scientific. You should go for what makes you look good.

For some people, BMI works as a measure. For me, it does work, probably because my body shape fits the model. For my husband, though, losing down to his 'ideal' BMI would make him too thin.

Other measures you can use to determine whether you have lost enough weight are: Waist to Height ratio, Waist to Hip ratio, and sagittal abdominal diameter. Oh yes, there's body fat percentage as well, but I find the devices to measure it are not very reliable.

_________________
---
Voilà ce qui va se passer !
http://www.levisiteurdufutur.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:44 am 

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 747
Location: France
derek_miller wrote:
OOO now that s one hell of a positive review ... I guess I ll have to give it a shot. I like these fun "workout" methods than using the actual gym machines ;)


Yes, it is fun and it is much better than gym machines. The thing is that gym machines don't keep the mind engaged while fun games do. The time creeps when one is using a gym machine - what, another 15 reps, the mind screams - but when the game is fun, the time just flies.

_________________
---
Voilà ce qui va se passer !
http://www.levisiteurdufutur.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm 

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:16 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Georgia, United States
Oh wow! Got me all excited about this game, so I went to look and it is only available from Amazon or Ebay for ridiculous prices!
$95 on Amazon.

Will be checking my 2 local Game Stops later today.

Looking forward to a change from Wii Fit, maybe do this 3 days a week, Wii Fit 3 days a week, and on the 7th day my choice?
LOL, I know I'll have to at least peek on Wii Fit to keep my credits.

Am also looking for a DDR mat, so I can switch things around, although I bought a mini-trampoline yesterday, and am thinking the remotes migth be the way to go.

edit: found the game and have done 20 minutes today. Enough that I'll put my credits in on wii fit plus, since I've hurt my back and can't do most of the exercises there today.

_________________

Trying to stay fit and flexible...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Review: Step to the Beat/Walk it Out
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 747
Location: France
furryfeathers wrote:
Oh wow! Got me all excited about this game, so I went to look and it is only available from Amazon or Ebay for ridiculous prices!
$95 on Amazon.

Will be checking my 2 local Game Stops later today.

Looking forward to a change from Wii Fit, maybe do this 3 days a week, Wii Fit 3 days a week, and on the 7th day my choice?
LOL, I know I'll have to at least peek on Wii Fit to keep my credits.

Am also looking for a DDR mat, so I can switch things around, although I bought a mini-trampoline yesterday, and am thinking the remotes migth be the way to go.

edit: found the game and have done 20 minutes today. Enough that I'll put my credits in on wii fit plus, since I've hurt my back and can't do most of the exercises there today.



Oh, I hope your back gets better soon. Be careful!

I see that you have found Step to the Beat. As I said, it's a wonderful game.

A mini-trampoline is wonderful. It is a marvellous tool for running. I watch TV/DVDs while I run so my runs never get tedious.

Note that the easiest way to watch TV/DVDs is to set things up so that the run is just about to start (the voice is counting down for the start), then press the + button on the Wiimote. This will pause everything. Then set up your DVD or your TV to the desired channel and, when you are ready, just press the + button again and the run will start. Make sure that you set the volume on the Wiimote on low but don't mute it out completely: the sound of your footsteps will let you know that you haven't accidentally pressed a button and paused the run. The Wiimote will vibrate when you have finished the timed run.

_________________
---
Voilà ce qui va se passer !
http://www.levisiteurdufutur.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Technorati Profile