Forum rules

If you are revealing the location of secret content or "easter eggs", start your posts title with "SPOILER ALERT:" so people can avoid it if they want to find it out for themselves.

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rhythm Boxing Expert Level
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am 

I absolutely love Rhythm Boxing and I think I do fairly well at it. I am in the advanced level and my high score is 699. I can't figure out how to get the Expert level unlocked. Does anyone know?

I watched an online video clip of the Expert Level and it appears to be a faster pace session that lasts 10 minute. That is exactly what I am ready for!

Thanks,
ggg

Post subject: Re: Rhythm Boxing Expert Level
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:38 pm 

I wish I could help, but I am absolutely horrible at this game. I can't even get the basic level, let alone anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:30 pm 

You're going to need to shoot for a higher score in Advanced I can't recall exactly but I believe I unlocked it somewhere between 700 and 750. (my current high score in Advanced is 826)

Expert is basically the same moves as Advanced but the pace feels a lot faster. Be really careful with your arm extension. Swinging harder makes it easier to keep up for some reason and it's really easy to strain something if you don't pull your punches a little.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:39 pm 

Expert finally unlocked. My highest score in Advanced was still 699, so I am not sure how it unlocked - it also never displayed a message. It was suddenly just there. Maybe it has to do with the frequency of visits combined with score?

Anyway, I really love the advanced level. I like faster pace and I seem to get a much better workout - I actually break a bit of a sweat.

The only thing I don't like is there really is no way to know how you are scoring. For example, in Rhythm Parade, you get an "Miss", "OK", or "Perfect" so you know where you failed or where you were just off-beat. In Rhthym Boxing you just have the ticker. I know I am landing all my punches, but since my score is only 3 stars I assume I am off-beat. I wish I knew where so I could work on improving. I have even managed to clear all my dodges - so I know that is not the cause of my lower score.

Thanks,
ggg :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:45 am 

There is a variation in what I can only describe as the sound and image of the hit. A "perfect" hit is louder and the impact symbol is brighter. Perfects are worth 2 points. To score 699 I'm going to assume that better than half of your hits are perfect. An acceptable hit is worth one point. You always know a miss because you don't hear the punch connecting with the dummy and you don't see the punch symbol.

If you watch closely you'll soon see the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:17 pm 

Nienna wrote:
Expert is basically the same moves as Advanced but the pace feels a lot faster. Be really careful with your arm extension. Swinging harder makes it easier to keep up for some reason and it's really easy to strain something if you don't pull your punches a little.

Thanks for the warning. Of course I didn't listen and I ran through 3 cycles of Exert mode on Saturday, with a bit of overconfidence. Oiy! My arms are KILLING me today!

I really do like the pace of the Expert level better thought - its much more enjoyable for me.

Thanks, ggg :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:39 pm 

gggoodgggirl wrote:

The only thing I don't like is there really is no way to know how you are scoring. For example, in Rhythm Parade, you get an "Miss", "OK", or "Perfect" so you know where you failed or where you were just off-beat. In Rhthym Boxing you just have the ticker. I know I am landing all my punches, but since my score is only 3 stars I assume I am off-beat. I wish I knew where so I could work on improving. I have even managed to clear all my dodges - so I know that is not the cause of my lower score.

You can tell, and you can even tell whether you were early or late.

As Nienna says, the perfect hit give a brighter and bigger "star" plus a louder noise. If you get the lesser hit, and don't see a target, then you were early. If you get a lesser hit and do see a target, you were late. You should adjust the next blow accordingly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:06 pm 

alex_heney wrote:
gggoodgggirl wrote:
You can tell, and you can even tell whether you were early or late.

As Nienna says, the perfect hit give a brighter and bigger "star" plus a louder noise. If you get the lesser hit, and don't see a target, then you were early. If you get a lesser hit and do see a target, you were late. You should adjust the next blow accordingly.

I must always be getting the perfect hit, because I always see the same size star and the noise is always the same. But that doesn't explain why my scores aren't better. Is there an action you are supposed to take on a "Block"? Or is that just a rest in between each punch? I am wondering if I am supposed to actually trigger something on a Block that I am unaware of, which could be accounting for my low score. If so, its the lack of a "Miss" confirmation that prevents me from knowing that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, ggg :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:47 am 

You need to have both feet on the board for a block to register but that's the only requirement. A successful block is worth 1 point per beat so you can rack up 2 or 3 points by making sure your feet are in the right place.

How are you doing during the freestyle at the end. I can rack up at least 50 points at the end by treating the punching bag like a speed bag.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 am 

Nienna wrote:
How are you doing during the freestyle at the end. I can rack up at least 50 points at the end by treating the punching bag like a speed bag.

I typically add 120-150 points at the end in freestyle - I am not really punching for that, I think its more like hard core drumming... hahaha. That is why I am so confused. I am fairly certain that both of my feet are back on the board in between punch sequences (according to the red/blue cues).