All times are UTC

Post subject: Using Wii without buttons
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

Hi,

Im an OT working in Belgium. I have a patient who has a right above elbow amputation and no use of hs left arm. The patient uses the Wii board for balance exercises but it would be great to use the controller. We think we can attach the controller to his stump, and he has full ROM in the shoulder. But it seems that all the games require you to press/let go of a button in order to bowl, hit a ball etc etc.... set up is OK but if the patient could use only movement when playing this would be a great thing. I have looked at the settings and cant find anything to change this with....

Any ideas?

Many thanks..

Mike.

Post subject: Re: Using Wii without buttons
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:50 pm 

MikeJarrey wrote:
Hi,

Im an OT working in Belgium. I have a patient who has a right above elbow amputation and no use of hs left arm. The patient uses the Wii board for balance exercises but it would be great to use the controller. We think we can attach the controller to his stump, and he has full ROM in the shoulder. But it seems that all the games require you to press/let go of a button in order to bowl, hit a ball etc etc.... set up is OK but if the patient could use only movement when playing this would be a great thing. I have looked at the settings and cant find anything to change this with....

Any ideas?

Many thanks..

Mike.

There isn't a way of disabling the button and playing the games without it, I'm afraid. It's not really designed for this sort of thing.

However, since you can attach the controller to his stump, it might be possible to rig up something. Here's my idea: the buttons on the controller aren't flush with it , except for the 'Home' button, and can be easily pushed by pushing them against another surface. Why not rig a board with, perhaps to make it easier some sort of pegs on it, so that, with the controller on the stump, the controller can be pressed against it. You might need two boards on two stands: one above the controller and one by the side. The stands can be anything robust and the board need merely be plywood and the pegs dowels. It would then just be a matter of getting the angles right.

Your patient wouldn't be able to play all the games this way, as some require the angle to be correct when the button is pressed, but it would at least allow some use of the controller.

Anyway, that's my idea. It might work and certainly it is possible to improve on it.